BRINTON SEES HOPE FOR FRENCH CABINET

Daladier Offers Ex-Premier Foreign Affairs Portfolio With That Aim in Mind

The French political situation at present is in many ways like that of last year in England, when Ramsay MacDonald and the Labor Party held places comparable to those in France, where Edouard Daladier has just been named Premier, according to C. C. Brinton '19, assistant professor of History, and tutor in the Department of History, Government and Economics.

"Daladier's rapid rise from comparative obscurity to Premier is doubtless the result of his refusal to support Poincare in 1928. He is probably not committed to the capital levy, and as leader of the Radical-Socialist party he has gained the long sought opportunity of the Left to get back into power.

Developments In Near Future

"In offering the portfolio of Minister of Foreign Affairs to Briand, Daladier is trying to strengthen the position of his party. The situation is one comparable to the return to power of Ramsay MacDonald in 1928, and the next three or four years should see some interesting developments in both England and France.

"Daladier is like an English Liberal wondering whether he will turn Laborite," he continued. "He and his party are not the extremists in France; the Communists are still beyond them. The award of the portfolios of Finance and War to the Moderate party and the appointment of Briand indicate that he is making some concessions to the other factions.

"From the point of view of the Italian Fascist, parliamentary government is on its last legs, for neither in England or France has any party a majority; even in America the insurgents or the farm bloc could put the Senate in an analagous position.

"The 1928 elections strengthened the group of the Right in France, and left practically untouched the strength of the Left, which includes the Socialists and the Radical-Socialists.

"Both Premier Daladier and Herriot, one of his ministers, are graduates of the Ecole Normal, which the French press jokingly calls the 'Republic of Professors.' Many of the French politicians have been graduated there, including Painleve and Leon Blum. But despite doubt and ridicule, the Radical-Socialist minister and his new cabinet have a splendid chance, and having waited so long for it to come, they will probably use it well.