HORWEEN SHIFTS BACKS FREELY IN LONG SIGNAL DRILL

Flashy Sophomore Pairs With Devens in Another Combination--Kuehn at Right Tackle

The possibility that Stadium spectators would see a new ball carrying quartet in action against Florida became more and more likely when Coach Horween made several sweeping changes in his backfield yesterday.

The most startling shift involved Putnam, veteran quarterback. In yesterday afternoon's long scrimmage and signal drill, the regular field general was given a try at left halfback. This shakeup seems to have been caused by the failure of Gilligan, who has started all games in this berth, to show any marked improvement. Putnam has exhibited a fine brand of running this season but it does not seem likely that his shift will be permanent. He also took his old job of directing the team for a while yesterday and Mays, fleet Sophomore flash stepped in at half.

Backfield Changes May Help

This latter change seems much more likely to be of permanent significance. With Devens and Harper filling in at the other two positions the Crimson would have practically the best running backfield it could assemble. Putnam, Devens and Mays all are experts on the lateral pass and end runs while Devens and Harper could be called upon for thrusts at the line and off-tackle. The Wood-Putnam-Devens-Harper combination, however, should not be neglected. In all probability this quartet will get a thorough test against the Alligators with the remote idea of starting against Michigan the following week. At the present time the foursome made up of the two Sophomores, Mays and Devens, and the two Seniors, Putnam and Harper, seems to be Coach Horween's best bet.

Kuehn at Tackle

The forward line problem was still far from solved after yesterday's practice. W. Ticknor changed to guard again, but a new man slipped in at right tackle. Kuehn, who played a steady game as substitute in the Dartmouth clash, was given the assignment. This change, however, seems to be only experimental.

All the while that team A was running through its signal drill, team B was having a stiff workout with the Seconds. Coach Horween indicated by this that the status of many men was still uncertain. Talbot and Myerson were both given hard tests at guard while Putnam was given an opportunity to show just what he could do at halfback. Incidentally that was Myerson's first hard work since the Army game.

Record Shifts to Backfield

The backfield coaches also tried out Record, who has been stationed at end all year, behind the line. He captained last year's Freshman track team and his hurdling experience, coupled with his strength and speed, may possibly make him a valuable addition to the squad of backs.

The tussle with the Seconds was only of an informal nature and no record of the score was kept, but the men were driven hard every minute of the lengthy scrimmage. This was probably the only contact work which the men will get this week. A demonstration of Florida plays is on the program for to- day.

Everybody except O'Connell, B. Ticknor and Gildea was out yesterday. The later two are expected back today while Dr. Richards has intimated that O'Connell will be in shape by Saturday. The former Exeter captain was still on crutches yesterday, however.

Team A lined up as follows yesterday:

l.e., Douglas; l.t., Barrett; l.g., Trainer; c., Richards, Cunningham; r.g., Ticknor; r.t., Kuchn; r.e., Harding, Ogden; q.b., Wood, Putnam; l.h.b., Putnam, Mays; g.h.b., Devens; f.b., Harper.

Team B borrowed several team A members for its scrimmage. Its lineup was: l.e., Harding, Ogden; l.t., Upton, Faxon; l.g., Ginman, Newhart, Lewis; c., Cunningham, Richards; r.g. Myerson, Talbot; r.t., Davis, Upton; r.e., Burns; q.b., Wetmore; l.h.b., Putnam, Gilligan, Batchelder; r.h.b., White, Mason; Record; f.b., Potter, White