RULES AND REGULATIONS

It will be interesting to discover what degree of success has attended the plan adopted by St. Johns College, of Annapolis, in granting fellowships allowing men to reside in college with no curriculum duties, and no responsibilities whatsoever. To initiate such a plan calls for the greatest care in the selection of candidates, and an unbounded faith in the willingness of students to work when there is no compunction to do so.

The theory behind this experiment is in line with the modern tendency in education and for the practical application of the principle no better field could be found than Harvard University. The vast resources for research, and the presence of a faculty which is second to none in this country marks this college as one in which a student would be able to utilize his opportunities to the utmost.

Educational methods, constantly shifting with the advent of new outlooks on life, are changing so fast that scholarships endowed for a definite course of study in one decade may be obsolete in the next. The St. Johns' plan introduces a novel system of study at college. There is a new field now opened up for those donors who are willing to give scholarships without any restricting stipulations, and who are willing to open up a limitless field of knowledge to those who are able to make advantage of the opportunities offered.

The granting of such scholarships would show the supreme confidence in the theory that true education is self-education. A start in this direction has been made, however, and some such scholarship might well be established for study at Harvard.