Holiday Cutting Regulations are Alleviated for Upperclassmen

Freshmen Included for Week End of the Michigan Game-- Cuts to be Noted

Upperclassmen in good standing will no longer be required to attend their last class before and their first class after one-day holidays, according to a statement issued last night by Dean Hanford.

The new ruling marks a departure from the old system of subjecting all except dean's list men to probation for extending their holidays beyond the prescribed limits. It does not, however, include Freshmen and will not obtain for the Christmas and April recesses.

While no action will be taken to punish holiday cuts, it was, nevertheless, made clear that such cuts will be noted and will be counted against the offender in case he slips from good standing at any subsequent time.

In the case of the Michigan game weekend, which is followed by Armistice Day, all Freshmen as well as upperclassmen who are in good standing will be permitted to skip classes in order to extend their holiday.

Dean Hanford's statement in full follows:

"As there are a large number of one-day holidays this year--October 12th, November 11th, November 28th, February 22nd, April 19th--it seems desirable to make clear the policy of the Dean's Office in dealing with the extension of holidays. Such a statement is especially necessary in view of the fact that several of the holidays occur at week-ends, and one falls close to the date of the football game with Michigan.

Cuts Will Be Noted

"In the case of upperclassmen in good standing, cuts taken from the last class before and the first class after a one-day holiday will not necessarily result in probation. Such cuts will, however, be especially noted on the student's record and if, at any future time during that year, such a man's record becomes unsatisfactory in any particular, the fact that he has taken holiday cuts will weigh heavily against him. The last class before and the first class after both the Christmas and April recess periods must be attended. If a cut is taken from such a class, save for illness or some other unavoidable reason, a man in good standing will be placed on probation; and a man on probation will run the risk of having his probation closed.

"Freshmen in good standing are required to attend their last class before and their first class after all holidays, whether they are one-day holidays or holidays of longer duration. Freshmen in good standing breaking this rule, except for illness or some other unavoidable reason will be placed on probation. Freshmen on trial breaking this rule, except on account of illness or some other unavoidable reason. Will doubtless have their trial closed.

"This year, however, on the week-end of the Michigan game Freshmen in good standing will be allowed the privileges of upperclassmen so far as attendance upon the last class before the holiday is concerned. That is, they will not necessarily, be placed on probation if they cut the last class before the November 11th holiday. However, if they do take such cuts and their records subsequently become in any particular unsatisfactory, these cuts will weigh heavily against them."