PROGRESSIVE ATHLETICS

In an article printed in these columns today President Angell of Yale discusses an idea which has been in the public eye for some time and one which should seem attractive from a number of points of view to supporters of the policy of the present Harvard Athletic Association.

Along with Mr. Bingham's policy of "athletics for all" has gone an attempt to increase the emphasis on having the men play for the inherent pleasure in playing a game well and make the desire to win not a paramount consideration in Harvard athletics. This idea has been applied especially in choosing coaches, notably in lacrosse and soccer, where young graduates have supplanted middle aged experts. Surely this policy could be furthered considerably in football "giving the game back to the players" as it often has been expressed.

The main obstanle obstructing any application of this principle, as President Angell points out is "the difficulty of securing a general agreement among the institutions which compete with one another." These difficulties would surely be considerably reduced if some intercollegiate athletic council existed which could discuss the plan.