CHAFEE TO ADDRESS PROTEST MEETING

"Culmination of Series of Acts Dating from 1920,"--Says Professor--Tufts Doctor Hopes for Toleration

Zechariah Chafee, Jr., professor in the Harvard Law School, will be the chief speaker at a public meeting to be held tonight at 8 o'clock in Ford Hall, Boston, under the auspices of the Massachusetts Civil Liberties Committee. At that time several prominent men will speak against the censorship of plays and books which is at present creating so much comment.

The committee has asked these men, "What shall we be allowed to read, what plays to see, what to believe, and where to hold meetings?" The problem will be discussed by Professor Chafee, Dr. Abraham Myerson, of Tufts Medical School, E. A. Weeks, Jr., of the Atlantic Monthly, and John S. Codman, Chairman of the Massachusetts Civil Liberties Committee. Thomas J. McGrath, Mayor of Quincy, was to have spoken, but found today that he would be unable to be present.

Culmination of Events

"This is simply the culmination of a series of acts which began with the deportation raids of 1920," said Professor Chafee last night, when interviewed by a CRIMSON reporter. "We feel that it isn't enough to object to the acts of the present mayor alone; we must ask each candidate for office what stand he is prepared to take with regard to theatres and plays if he is elected to office."

Dr. Myerson, writing in the Boston Herald of Tuesday, commented on the recent ban of "Strange Interlude". He said: "I paraphrase a tragic sentence of one of the characters when I say that I hope that the banning of this brilliant play from the Boston stage as well as the tyrannical banning of fine books from the shops of our city will some day be a Strange Interlude between the historic and renowned Boston of the past and a gracious, tolerant, and civilized future."

Myerson Prefers to Wait

When queried by a CRIMSON reporter concerning his stand in the matter yesterday. Dr. Myerson stated that he preferred to wait until the meeting tonight before making public any of his views, further than those he had discussed in the columns of the Herald.

According to its secretary, the Massachusetts Civil Liberties Committee has been loosely organized for some time. The present need galvanized it into action, and the meeting tonight is the first step toward combatting the Boston censors.