WAR OF THE ROSES

The latest back to the soil movements seems to have become stalled in its own dirt. Few who read the lead story in this issue of the CRIMSON will emerge from the maze of charge and counter-charge with more than an inkling as to what it's all about. In the first place only the most elect of the agricultural cognoscenti know where the Botanic Garden is and few but concentrators in horticulture can tell within a time limit of five minutes the difference between the Botanic Garden and the Gray Herbarium. But an understanding of these points is but elementary to an understanding of the present controversy.

Apparently those who live in glass houses, not content with a mere throwing of stones, have entered into a somewhat ragged game of catch with the big leagues. It is too early to predict the outcome of the contest, but the constant mention of money adds a taint of professionalism to the proceedings which cannot fall to arouse regret in the ranks of the amateur garden clubs involved. So far the hothouse gang seems to have the edge but the experts are talking knowingly about the dark horse pitcher held in reserve by the big league.