FOUNDATION PLANS HISTORICAL PICTURE

"History of Massachusetts" Will be First Educational Talkie Made in United States

Former President Coolidge will take part in the first educational talking picture to be produced in the United States, when the University Film Foundation starts shooting scenes for its "History of Massachusetts" tomorrow.

This announcement was made yesterday by the Foundation, in connection with the first work to be done on their film, which will trace the history of the Bay State from its establishment down to the present day. The film is being produced in advance of the 1930 Massachusetts Tercentenary celebration, which will be celebrated in all towns and cities of the state at that time.

The picture of former President Coolidge, which will be taken at his home in Northampton, will be followed by others of historical and personal interest.

Tercentenary Planned for 1930

The Cambridge Tercentenary, plans for which are now going forward under the leadership of Robert Walcott '95, will probably be celebrated next summer, when exercises will be held with the cooperation of the University. Exact announcement of plans for the tercentennial program here has not been made.

Besides their work on the "History of Massachusetts" film, the University Film Foundation is also the producer of the celluloid record of University life as made for the Harvard Alumni Association. Recent announcement of a similar work, to be carried on by Pathe under the direction of K. F. Mather, professor of Geology here, is of interest in the consideration of all the educational film production being carried on about the University.