Books

THE MAIL

(Ed. Note--The Crimson does not necessarily endorse opinions expressed in printed communications. No attention will be paid to anonymous letters and only under special conditions, at the request of the writer will names be withheld.)

To the Editor of the CRIMSON:

In your editorial of Wednesday, November sixth, entitled the "Grain and the Chaff", commenting on the recommendation of books by a committee acting for the Cooperative Society, you lament that the committee deals only with non-fiction and you suggest that other forms of literature might very profitably be included in their survey.

May I draw your attention to the fact that a committee exists which aims at performing just that function and moreover provides the books it recommends. The Library Committee of the Harvard Union meets every month and makes a selection from, the current literature of every kind and the books selected are added to the library. The constitution of the committee, which is representative of the Faculty, the Tutors, and the Undergraduates, ensures a catholicity of taste, and the aim of the committee has always been to meet the needs of the present generation of students, as well as to assemble, as far as human fallibility permits, books of permanent literary value. There are few small libraries that can offer a better representation of every form of contemporary literary activity. It is a pity that the Union Library is not more widely known and used. L. Denis Peterkin.