COACHES FALL BEFORE ATTACK OF REGULARS

FORWARD AND LATERAL PASSING ATTACK STRESSED

Stars of former Harvard football campaigns swung into action yesterday afternoon when the Crimson eleven faced a team composed of the present University coaching staff in a short scrimmage. The regulars rolled up a 24 to 0 score during the 15-minute workout against their mentors.

A blackboard talk opened the afternoon session and was followed by individual instruction: The Crimson passing attack then came in for its share of attention as Coaches Horween and Casey continued the work of ironing out the rough spots in the Harvard aerial game. Lateral passing, which has not played such a prominent part in the Crimson offensive this year, was emphasized.

Borrowing Newhart and Ginman, guards, from Team B, the coaches then organized an eleven for the tussle with the regulars. Dr. Richards and Bradford, ends; Hubbard and Dunne, tackles; Clark, center; Knox, quarterback; Casey and Kennard, halfbacks; and Horween, fullback, composed the team. Taking the ball on its own 40-yard line, the University players pushed over a touchdown in three plays. A Wood-to-Harding pass netted 50 yards. Devens plunged through tackle for ten more and then Putnam took a lateral from White for the score.

The coaches eleven attempted to get under way, but Horween's thrust at center was stopped and his pass to Casey on the next play failed. Kennard punted to Putnam, and the elusive Crimson halfback raced 90 yards for a touchdown. The regulars then put on a series of power plays in a 60-yard march to the final stripe, White going over. Shortly afterwards Wood, who had booted over the three points after-touchdowns, made a field goal from the 25-yard line. The other Team B players went in for the coaches at this coaches at this point, but no scores were made in the brief tussle which followed.

There were no changes in the University lineup. Captain Barrett was given the day off while Davis took his left tackle post. Douglas was not in action either, but the regular end will be ready for service Saturday. Huguley was in uniform jogging around the field.