EAST SIDE, WEST SIDE

Modern artists have apparently reached a stage of development which would defy even the criticism of the most conservative critics. A certain Mr. Deckinson of the individualist faith, having painted a picture entitled "The Fossil Hunters" in ghostly gray with a recumbent old man delicately pointing a twig in the general direction of a grind stone in the semi-abstract, won a five hundred dollar prize. Unfortunately, the photographer commissioned to take a picture of this work of art, being a conservative in the matter of posing and of regard for the limitations of his patrons, noted something amiss in Mr. Deckinson's work The judges were recalled and after careful consideration with the artist it was decided that the picture was on its side. But in spite of all geographical difficulties the skill of the artist seems to have given his work an all around excellence which biased the judges even then in his favor. Nor was his versatility confined to the purely physical sides of the questioned. This picture, which started as a death mask to Beethoven, includes among other attractive features, a young lady standing on her head along with some very fine draperies. And now the wrong has been righted, and the artist has the prize money. The only criticism is that some might feel that the judges of this exhibition were not quite on the square.