PUGSLEY MAKES $400,000 GIFT TO THE LAW SCHOOL

Graduate Scholars from Entire World to be Eligible--Donation is One of Largest Ever Made.

A gift of $400,000 in securities has been made to the Harvard Law School by Chester DeWitt Pugsley '86, president of the Westchester County National Bank at Peekskill, New York, to provide graduate scholarships in international law for students from all nations of the world.

The income of the trust, as stated in the deed, "Shall be applied annually for the maintenance of such number, of graduate scholarships in international law at the Harvard Law School as there shall be from time to time nations of the world with which the United States of America has diplomatic relations, including, however, as nations, for the purposes hereof the United States of America, the British self-governing dominions, and India, one of said scholarships to be available for a citizen or subject of each such nation."

According to J. H. Beale '82, acting dean of the Law School and Royall Professor of Law there, the gift is one of the largest ever made to the school. Sixty scholarships of $400 each will be available at first, and the income which is not used will be allowed to accumulate until the amount of each award has been increased to $2000. At that time scholarships for this amount will be given.

Since it is probable that not all 60 of the awards will be used each year, the unused portion should accumulate rapidly.

The fund, known as the John Harvey Gregory Trust, is established in honor of Mr. Pugsley's father, the Honorable Cornelius Amory Pugsley, and in memory of his mother, Emma Catherine Gregory Pugsley. The scholarships, for which several applications have already been received, will be awarded on recommendation of the Minister of Foreign Affairs of each country, or, in case of the British Dominion, of the Minister of External Affairs. Applications should be addressed in the first instance to such Minister in each country, according to the

catalogue of the Harvard Law School. Mr. Pugsley has already made several other grants to the Law School, three of which are available to students from North, South, and Central America respectively, for study in international law. Another, known as the Pugsley Scholarship, was established in 1920 for graduate study in international law, preference to be given students from foreign countries