SPEED AND TIMING STRESSED BY TEAM

All Plays Run Through at Top Speed But No Contact Work--Squad is in Fine Condition for Game

Yesterday's workout for the University football squad was in the nature of a thorough polishing up on all assignment work. For two hours the various coaches put their charges through a detailed drill with greater speed the ultimate goal.

While the linemen were engaged in a strenuous session of live tackling and on the dummies, Coaches Horween, Casey and Bradford worked with the backs and ends. Skeleton teams were organized and all the finer points of play were explained. Speed and accurate timing in the execution of offensive assignments, especially in lateral pass plays, was sought. The entire squad was then given a blackboard talk.

A demonstration of Holy Cross plays was next on the schedule. Under the tutelage of Fordyce Blake, veteran Crusader scout, a class team ran through the formations of the Purple eleven, and then Teams A and B squared off against each other in a short dummy scrimmage. All the plays of the Crimson repertory were run through at top speed but there was no contact work.

The entire squad, with the exception of Gildea and Huguley, is in top-notch condition. These two players were in uniform yesterday and were given a light workout. It is not likely, however, that they will be used tomorrow against the Crusaders Douglas was back in action again. He played at left end, but Harding, who has held down this wing post all week, was not on the field, owing to a late class. Which one of these will start tomorrow is undecided, but it seems that Harding may get the call. Captain Barrett was given another much-needed day of rest, Davis filling in at left tackle. There were no lineup changes.