THOMAS HEADS BOARD TO REVISE ENGLISH EXAMS

ADVERSE CRITICISM OF PRESENT PLAN BRINGS ACTION

Changes in the College Entrance Board Examinations in English are being considered by a commission appointed recently by the Board, with Charles Swain Thomas '97, professor in the Harvard Graduate School of Education, as chairman.

"Many complaints have been made against both place," said Henry Penny-packer '88. Chairman of the Committee on Admissions at Harvard when questioned concerning the proposed changes. "The comprehensive plan in particular is criticized because of its extreme difficulty, and we hope to secure some arrangement whereby the two methods may be consolidated."

Criticism Prevalent

There has been a great deal of adverse criticism of the system now in use, according to Mr. Pennypacker. Two methods of examination are possible: the restricted plan, whereby a student takes his examination during his preparatory years, and the comprehensive plan, which requires but one exam, and that during the summer of the year in which the student is to enter college.

No definite statement of the work of the commission has been made, as the study of the problem has just recently been begun. "We will study the art of examining in English," said Professor Thomas yesterday. "The results, for the most part, have proved satisfactory, but the College Entrance Examination Board has finally decided to subject the policy of the preceding years to a strict and impartial scrutiny."

The commission is composed of teachers in colleges, public, and private schools of the country, with the Graduate School of Education as its center.