ARCHITECTURAL ADVANCE

While not of startling importance it is nevertheless pleasant to realize that the Harvard Architectural School has been singled out from the rest of American schools of its kind as the recipient of the medal awarded by the French Government for the best record of progress and accomplishment during the past year.

Such an award carries with it added distinction in view of the fact that there was no special effort made on the part of the Harvard School to go into deliberate competition for the prize. When an organization receives such an honor in the discharge of its ordinary routine, it may be regarded as a sign of healthful enterprise and initiative.

Present day America offers an almost unexampled field for architectural development. A true American type of commercial structure has been evolved since the war, and in almost every field of architecture the expansion of the city and of the nation offers new and broader opportunities for American talent. Harvard, combining as it does the new School of City Planning and the Architectural School is particularly well fitted to contribute to the architectural and aesthetic development of the country.