Overemphasis Again

What do the authorities of Yale mean by putting out at this time news of the thirty-six degrees of Doctor of Philosophy granted to students doing special research? The intention can scarcely be to attempt to offset Yale's football victory over Princeton. What are Doctors of Philosophy compared with makers of touchdowns? There would seem to be danger that magnifying merely scholastic news may tend to throw the pale cast of thought over the team when it goes to meet Harvard.

Turning to Princeton, one reads the same day that not nearly so many graduates now enter the ministry as formerly used to be the case. But will that reconcile the undergraduates to having had a gloomy football year? Many Princeton alumni who afterward pounded the cushions of a pulpit learned how to do it partly on the gridiron. What Princeton needs is not more clergymen among her alumni, but more mighty men of valor on her football team.

To anticipate letters of protest, let it be said at once that college athletes are often known to be good scholars. Many of them deplore the disproportionate attention given to sport, And not a few of them would put the blame for this not upon their fellows in college, but upon the insistent alumni and upon the general public going in vast multitudes to watch what are thought of as our young barbarians all at play. --N. Y. Times.