UNION MEMBERS WILL HEAR BENET TOMORROW

REPUTATION FIRST ACQUIRED AS NOVELIST

Tomorrow evening at 8 o'clock in the Living Room of the Union, Stephen Vincent Benet, well-known modern author, will address an audience composed of members of the Union. Although his definite topic has not yet been announced his subject will probably cover recent writing in general.

Mr. Benet is one of the most promising of the younger school of writers, and his best known work, "John Brown's Body", had an unusually large first edition, totalling 65,000 volumes.

He first won his reputation as a story teller with the novels, "The Beginning of Wisdom" and "Spanish Bayonet". His earliest poetic piece was "Five, Men and Pompey", written in 1915 just after he graduated from Yale. This was followed by "Heaven and Earth", which, with its predecessor, announced a vigorous new voice in American poetry.

Last fall, "John Brown's Body" was published. To accomplish this work, Mr. Benet lived in the South of France on a Guggenheim Memorial Foundation Fellowship, which enabled him to devote most of his time to the writing of the book, without being disturbed by financial worry.

He returned to America a year ago to find that the work published in his absence had gained him great fame.

Benet comes from a family of literary artists. His father was a historian, and his older brother and sister are both poets and critics of distinction. A military tendency of his is probably also inherited, for his father, grandfather, and great grandfather were army officers. One of his cherished beliefs is that he is related to Black Pedro, the Mexican bandit.