Harvard, Yale and Princeton Fall Suspect to Theft of Eli Fence--One Indefinite Clue Points to Harvard Students

New Haven, Conn., Nov. 19--Undergraduates of three of America's oldest and most famous universities are suspected in the theft during the Yale-Princeton game of the last remaining section of Yale's traditional fence, which for ever fifty years has served as a background for the official pictures of undergraduate Eli notables.

At Harvard, especially, is the long, sinister finger of suspicion pointed, for a car bearing a Massachusetts license was seen to drive off after several men allegedly loaded the vehicle with a large, bulky parcel which they carried out of the building in which the each singles are located. Princeton and Yale undergraduates are also variously reported to be implicated in the roberry. On the New Haven campus, in fact, the university authorities are said to have threatened expulsion for any Eli undergraduates found to be implicated in the removal of the Blue shrine.

The affair has apparently become more than one between a professional photographer and a petty burglar. It is between Yale men and several undergraduates of Princeton, Yale, or Harvard. It has become fairly clear, since the receipt by the Yale News of obviously spurious telegrams from various sections of country that the disappearance of this last vestige of an old Yale tradition was an undergraduate prank. That the Eli authorities regard it as such is shown by the fact that detectives are already at work on the campi of the universities under suspicion.

At Harvard yesterday, editors of the CRIMSON sought, without success to discover whether any group of undergraduates in the University could be connected with the theft. It was pointed out to them several times in the course of their investigation, that a Massachusetts 22-cense could hardly be considered proof that Harvard undergraduates were responsible for the removal of the fence, inasmuch as there are several hundred thousand automobiles bearing Massachusetts licenses.