FURNISHING THE ROOMS

The House Masters are acutely conscious of the necessity of having the furnishing of the rooms as varied as possible, especially since the rooms will be occupied by the same man for three years in succession. The difficulties in the way of achieving a goal of real individuality for each suite are largely financial and the House Masters deserve all support possible in whatever opposition they may meet from the Bursar's office in its ultimate achievement. The rugs, which it is proposed to rent to House Members, for instance, should be sufficiently varied in design to allow of real selection and no sacrifice be made to the economies to be derived from standardization.

The Houses will bring a much larger number of men under one roof than there are in the usual Harvard dormitory, and every effort must be made to avoid the atmosphere of regularity and regimentation which is common under such conditions and reaches its height in the army barracks. This can only be done by spending much time and money in the arrangement of the furnishing. The House Masters have recognized this fact, but the economies and conveniences of management to be derived from having all-the furniture of a set pattern, as is the case in the Freshman dormitories, form an opposing argument which they cannot too strongly resist.