COMPETITIONS IN MINOR SPORTS TO BE AMALGAMATED

New Plan Will Allow Students to Try Basketball, Fencing, and Wrestling During Season.

Three minor sports, basketball, fencing, and wrestling, will combine their managerial competitions this year, under a plan never before attempted in the history of the Harvard Athletic Association.

Upperclassmen will be called out for the new competitions on Monday, the Freshman competition having been eliminated. Six weeks of work will be required, each candidate spending two weeks on each of the three sports, and at the end of the competition, six positions will be filled. The winner will have his choice of the three second assistant managerships, with the five remaining assistant and Freshman positions awarded by choice to the other candidates in order of their rank in the competition.

The second assistant manager will become assistant manager in his Junior year and University manager in his Senior year. The Freshman manager will retire at the end of his Junior year, during which he will have charge of the Freshman team.

Minor Sports Insignia

The outstanding advantages of the new plan over the old one lie in the broad acquaintance it gives candidates with the three minor sport fields, and in the practical experience afforded in managing basketball, fencing, and wrestling before a choice of one sport is required. Candidates will be rated, as in all other Harvard managerial competitions, on scholarship, executive ability, industry, efficiency, reliability, and personality. Minor sports numerals and letters will be awarded to University and Freshman managers. These numerals will all be of the same type, in accordance with the recommendation of the Minor Sports Council last month. At that time red numerals on a black background, to be worn on a white sweater with no letters to signify what division of minor sports the wearer has represented, were recommended. The minor sports "H" is the same as that adopted by the Student Council last year.