It's Easier to Find a Dentist in Harvard Square Than to Locate a Restaurant--Lawyers Outnumber the Laundries

Dentists outnumber restaurants in Harvard Square, and lawyers are more numerous than laundries, it is revealed in a recent compilation of stores and offices in this vicinity. A survey of the 141 stores and 10 office buildings in the Square shows an infinite variety of businesses to attract trade.

It is surprising to find 28 dentists and only 20 restaurants, but no more so than to discover 14 lawyers, 11 laundries, and nine barber shops. Evidently Cantabrigians in this vicinity believe in preserving their beauty, for there are 11 beauty and massage shops; the amount of student patronage is unknown.

Books, stationery, and periodicals are sold by 11 stores, a number indicative of the amount of reading and writing done by Harvard men. There are three florists, six druggists, four jewelry stores, and three sporting goods concerns.

The familiar spa, with its wares of fruit and candy, exists to the number of 10. Of hotels, opticians, telegraph offices, undertakers, and plumbers there are two each. There are five banks, a like number of garages and painters, a theatre, an architect, and 10 printers and engravers.

Yes, Harvard Square is a metropolitan business center. Its one department store alone permits it to claim that distinction.