FIVE RHODES CANDIDATES RECOMMENDED BY LOWELL

TWO OF GROUP MAY GO TO OXFORD IN SEPTEMBER

Five students of Harvard College have been recommended by the President for Rhodes Scholarships at the University of Oxford during 1930-31, it was announced yesterday at University Hall.

Frank McMinn Chambers '30, of Port Arthur, Texas; John Emigh '30, of Augusta, Georgia; Richard Orvis Grisdale '31, of Minneapolis, Minnesota; Grenville Ross Holden '31, of Idaho Falls, Idaho; Leslie Clare Warren '29, of Hartford, Michigan, are those Harvard men who will be entered for consideration in the 1929 election, which will take place on December 7.

Chambers was elected to Phi Beta Kappa last year with the Junior eight, and Emigh was on his Freshman track squad. Holden was a member of the Dramatic and Debating Clubs in his first year and is in the Social Service corps of the Phillips Brooks House. He is now Business Manager of the Cercle Francais.

Rhodes candidates are judged on the basis of these four general points; their literary and scholastic ability and attainments; qualities of manhood, truth, courage, devotion to duty, sympathy, kindliness, unselfishness, and fellowship; moral character and leadership; and physical vigor as shown by interest in outdoor sports or in other ways.