DRAMATIC CLUB GIVES MIRACLE PLAY TONIGHT

PERFORMANCE BEFORE GERMANIC MUSEUM BACKGROUND

"The Hessian Miracle Play" will be presented by the Dramatic Club in the Germanic Museum this evening, at 8 o'clock. This play was translated for the first time from the German by D. F. Robinson '26.

As in the case of the "Dublin Cycle" which was given last year this miracle play is being performed for the first time in the United States. The original was very long and boisterous and the version used by the Dramatic Club for this presentation is much shortened. Parts from two different plays have been incorporated into this translation and the play as it will be performed tonight consists of nine scenes. It was first composed in the late fifteenth century and is representative of a popularized type of miracle play, containing the conventional nativity group, angels, devils, and shepherds. Gregorian chants are used to furnish an appropriate musical background for the action. The visual setting for the performance is the Germanic Museum reproduction of the "Golden Gate" of the cathedral of Freiburg, Germany.

All of the technical staff of the Dramatic Club have been occupied in providing an artistic production of the miracle play, which has become an annual presentation.

G. W. Harrington '30 is directing the Christmas play of the club for a second time. The musical part of the play has been under the supervision of J. S. B. Archer '30. The cast includes: Julia Bygrave '30, of Radcliffe, as Mary: H. G. Meyer '30, as Gabriel: and R. H. Jones '30, as Joseph. Robinson has aided in the direction of the work.