SOLITARY CONFINEMENT

The latest developments of the House Plan which are indicated in Dean Greenough's letter sent to those applying for rooms in Dunster House, are really not surprising in view of the building plans. Nor would it be a cause for general amazement if applicants for Lowell House were to receive a similar letter.

It is a regrettable fact that according to the description of the House issued to the student body, there are to be approximately twice as many single rooms as double rooms in each house. Although it is painfully apparent that nothing can be done at this late stage, it is equally apparent that such an arrangement is an unfortunate one, and not strictly in accordance with the stated aims of the House Plan. The necessity of rooming alone, besides being an added expense to those who will eventually live in the Houses, is likely to prove a prohibitive barrier to some, and a deterrent to many who would otherwise desire to live in the new buildings.

This purely mechanical feature may tend to thwart one of the fundamental purposes of the House Plan; it is apt to preclude any real possibility of a cross-section of University life.