PROFESSOR HURLBUT PASSES AWAY AFTER VERY BRIEF ILLNESS

Acted as Dean of Harvard College from 1902 to 1916--Received A. B. Degree in 1887

Byron Satterlee Hurlbut '87, Professor of English, died last night at 11.30 o'clock at the Cambridge Hospital after a brief illness. No announcement as to funeral services has been made. He is survived by his wife and one son.

Professor Hurlbut was taken ill less than three weeks ago, and after a short period of sickness was taken to the hospital for an operation, which was performed on December 11. His condition was considered critical for a time but he seemed to be on the road to recovery right up until last night. The exact nature of his illness was not revealed.

Degree in 1887

Professor Hurlbut was born in Shelburne. Vermont on February 10, 1865. He received his A. B. degree at Harvard in 1887 and his A. M. the following year. He worked in the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences until 1890 at which time he took over the duties of an instructor in English, receiving an Assistant Professorship in 1901 and a full Professorship in 1906. He acted a Dean of Harvard College from 1902 until 1916. Since that time he has been conducting English courses in the College.

This year Professor Hurlbut was giving two courses, English 31 and English 7, the former a course in advanced English composition, and the latter on early eighteenth century English authors. He had been granted sabbatical leave for the second half of the current year.