THE NEW GOLIATH

The increasing trend toward concentration in Economics shown in the recently published figures of the Committee on the Choice of Electives might at first appearances seem to indicate an increased desire on the part of college men to be well acquainted with modern affairs. But unfortunately many of these men are interested in Economics because they believe it to be an open sesame to a fortune or else a direct preparation for the Law and Business School. Such narrowing influences should be avoided.

Professors in the Department of Economics protest against this influx of prospective millionaires. Moreover the reports of the Business School show that the previous field of concentration of their students has no effect on the quality of the work they produce. Men who concentrate in Economics for purely materialistic reasons obviously miss what they most hope to obtain.

In his well known report on undergraduate concentration President Lowell pointed out that the emphasis should be on avocational or cultural rather than professional training. Economics gives a broad viewpoint on life when approached in a proper spirit, but it is to be feared that these figures in large part indicate at tendency toward premature vocational training which should not be encouraged.