THREE HUNDRED YEARS

The Commonwealth of Massachusetts. Harvard College. These are names, which are inseparably connected by history and tradition, and the record of the former has received much of its lustre through the able guidance of graduates from the college on the Charles. For well over a century Harvard was a state institution, and the close relationship is still evidenced by the part which the Governor of the Commonwealth plays in the annual commencement exercises.

The celebration of the three hundredth anniversary of the founding of the Massachusetts Bay Colony anticipates the tercentenary of the College by a scant six years, and although the college will undoubtedly mark its own birthday, it will also have a prominent part to play in the state-wide celebrations which take place next year. The Law School will have an important position, as the observance of the tercentenary emphasizes the introduction of self-government and civil liberties into the future United States. The College, which has contributed so much to the intellectual and political progress of the state and the nation, cannot fall to be one of the chief sources of interest to the hundreds of thousands who are expected to visit the state during the coming summer.

Just as Harvard graduates were fore-most among those who from the earliest years of the Bay Colony helped materially to build up Massachusetts and the Nation, so today Harvard graduates form the majority of the committee which is working to make the observance of the founding of the colony an event of national and international significance. The celebration which they plan will only serve to bring into sharper relief the great part that Harvard has played in history.