PRINCETON'S UNION

While the University is struggling with the various phases of the House Plan, and Yale is in process of debating a similar arrangement, it is interesting to regard the somewhat analogus question with which the third member of the extinct alliance is concerning itself. At Princeton the Utility and desirability of an undergraduate center is under discussion. The situation is in some respects similar to that of Harvard. The widening gap between clubmen and nonclubmen makes for the same sort of disintegrating influence as is here ascribed to unwieldy size and minute division into cliques.

Several suggestions have been brought forward. The idea of a university club has been rejected as unfeasible and inadequate to the task of reuniting the two groups. The proposal of building exclusively for student activities met better reception, but there was danger that it might fall in its purpose through lack of patronage, since the powerful Triangle club has removed to quarters of its own. The proposed university center is planned to combine the best features of both, in that, as the seat of activities, it will not tend to be left to the nonclubmen alone.

Though the center is still in the period of formulation. It is interesting because of its resemblance to the Harvard Union, in which the University once hoped to find a solution to the same problem of reintegration to which the House Plan now seeks the key. Whether Princeton will have better success with a medium which Harvard found, inadequate, or will be forced to take other and further steps, will depend upon her own conditions.