THE TAYLOR LECTURES

The coming lectures of Henry Osborn Taylor will give the University an opportunity to hear one of her most widely read graduates. Interested primarily in the tracing of the shifting, currents of thought throughout the ages, the author of "The Medieval Mind" has the rare faculty of carrying his reader into the spirit of a bygone era without losing perspective.

Among historians Dr. Taylor's studies are the standard works on the history of ancient and medieval intellectual life. Philosophers turn to his books not only to profit by his researches but to obtain the benefit of his own interpretations. To the general public his writings offer an intellectual stimulus only equaled by his delightful style. His works are among the few that are both significant to the expert and interesting to the layman.

Dr. Taylor's place among American men of letters is all the more note-worthy because, like Francis Bacon, he took up the search for knowledge purely as a hobby after the stress of a busy life of affairs. Too many scholarly treatises read as if written from a painful sense of duty; Dr. Taylor, a former practising lawyer, writes purely for dis-interested enjoyment, yet compares favorably with his professional contemporaries both in substance and in vitality. Particularly interesting to undergraduates should be the lectures of a man who is notable for having brought a penetrating simplicity into a field too often obscured by a cloud of technical detail.