CARVER SUCCEEDS TO CHAIRMANSHIP MUNRO RESIGNED

Felt He Was Unable to Retain Position Owing to Absences--Carver Came to Harvard in 1900

Thomas Nixon Garver, Wells Professor of Political Economy, has been appointed Chairman of the Division of History, Government, and Economics it was announced yesterday at University Hall. He will succeed as Chairman Professor William Bennett Munro, who has resigned.

For several years Professor Munro has been under an agreement with the Carnegie Institute of Technology whereby he spends the first half year at Harvard and the second at Pasadena. A temporary appointment to provide an acting chairman during his absence was formerly made. Professor Munro, who is now on leave from Cambridge, felt that he was unable to retain his post owing to his repeated absences.

The new chairman, Professor Carver, came to Harvard in 1900 from Oberlin College, Ohio, where he had been Professor of Economy for six years. Two years later he was appointed to the position which he now holds.

During the first year of the World War, Professor Carver was adviser in agricultural economics to the United States Department of Agriculture, following a year as director of rural organization for the Department.

He has written books on sociology and religion as well as economics. His most outstanding works on economics are "The Distribution of Wealth", and the "Present Economic Revolution in the United States." In the field of religion, he is the author of "The Religion Worth Having," and in the field of sociology he is well known by his "Essays in Social Justice," and "Sociology and Social Justice."