Harvard Has Chance For Triangular Meet Victory

University Runners May Take Fifth Consecutive H-D-C Win

Boston's indoor track season will come to a meteoric close Saturday night when the runners of Harvard, Dartmouth, and Cornell meet for the eleventh annual triangular clash in the Boston Garden. For the first time in many years the Red runners from Ithica will arrive here generally favored to break the Crimson's string of four consecutive victories and carry off the laurels.

"Dark Horses" Numerous

Any attempt at pronosticating the outcome of such a meet is difficult. This year it is all the more so, as Saturday's clash is shrouded in mystery by the dust of the "dark horses", who have it in their power to overturn the calculations of the dopesters and cast the margin of victory in favor of the outsiders. Unexpected Indian performances, cutting into the total of Cornell points, coupled with unforseen exhibitions by unheralded Harvard athletes may well give the University the edge necessary for a fifth victory. Upsets in the mile and two mile events in particular will change the entire aspect of the meet.

According to the figures, Harvard should win the meet with a total of 43 points; Dartmouth should capture 40 points for second honors, with Cornell third, only seven point behind. The Crimson runners are generally granted the superiority over their two rivals in the track events, but by how wide a margin it is difficult to conjecture. Cornell, as usual, is powerful in the field events; Dartmouth may be ranked a fairly close second; but the University is a poor third. The outcome of the clash would, therefore, seem to depend entirely on the final event on the schedule, the mile relay. The Crimson quartet's fast time of three minutes 28 4-5 seconds in the Millrose Games in New York a short while ago should favor them to outrun the Indian baton-passers, but Coach Hillman has an array of fleet middle distance runners who are capable of throwing the point total in their favor.

In the short dash, Dartmouth is greatly handicapped by the graduation of Glendenning, last year's winner, and is not counted on to score. Harvard should take eight points in the 50-yard dash, but there is some doubt as to whether A. E. French '29, who has been practicing only a comparatively short while this season, will be up to his usual form. A. L. Watkins '31 should break the tape in this event, with French second, and Eckert, of Cornell, third

Improve Track Conditions

An innovation in the running of the 300-yard race will feature the meet. Three heats, in each of which one entrant from each of the competing universities will appear, will be run off. There will be no finals, but every runner of each heat will be separately clocked, and the three best times will determine the points. Pratt of Dartmouth should capture first place, with G. A. Tupper '29 and W. C. Rowe '31 finishing behind him in that order. Alcorn, however, may break into the Green scoring column and cut down on the Crimson total.

Swope, of Dartmouth is the odds-on-favorite in the 600-yard run. F. E. Cummings '30 should earn three points for the Crimson, while either Vernon Munroe '31 or David Cobb '31 should win the additional single point. In the 1000-yard event, the Indians are expected to carry off another first place. The graduation of A. H. O'Neil '28, last season's University track captain and winner of this run, has left Coach Farrell without any real first-class 1000-yard material. The Latham twins and Andrews of the Green have been turning in very fast times, according to reports from Hanover, and Andrews is expected to take the event. R. P. Porter '29 is counted on to repeat his last year's performance and take second place. One of the Harvard breaks in the meet may occur in the 1000, as Porter might possibly lead the way across the finish line. The other Crimson point will be gained by either A. M. Vinton '30 or G. W. Smith '29, two of the University "dark horses".

Cornell Weak in Distances

Cornell is outstandingly weak in all three of these middle distance runs and may be considered as virtually out of them. Treman is the best Ithican entered in the two shorter runs, but his full possibilities are unknown. It it likely, however, that he may upset the dope and place.

Whereas the Indians are strong in the middle distance runs, they are almost a negligible quantity in the mile and two mile races. The Big Red runners will supplant the Green in vying with Harvard in these two races. Goacli Moakley has entered Benson, his crack long distance man, in these events, but whether he will allow him to run in both Saturday night is a question of doubt. Captain J. L. Reid '29 is counted on to repeat his double victory of last year, but it is than likely that Benson, the indoor intercollegiate two-mile champion, may nose him out in the longer race, especially if he withdraws from the mile. If he runs in both events, it is quite likely that he will capture a second place in each, although the strain may prove too much for him. R. C. Aldrich '31 and J. O. Wildes '30 are the other Crimson hopes in the mile run. Both have been showing up well during the cross-country and winter seasons and are considered capable of coping with the other Cornell threats, Eldridge and Levering. Should Benson, however, withdraw from the mile, a clean sweep for the Crimson runners is quite likely. Under such circumstances, the Cornell champion might well lead Reid across the finish line, but even this upset would not alter the point total to any great degree. Leslie Flaksman '29, who finished a short distance behind Reid in the two mile last year, may safely be counted on for third position.

Crimson Shut Out in Hurdles

The sole track event in which the University team will be shut out is the 45-yard high hurdles. Caruthers of Cornell headed the timber-toppers in last year's classic, tying the triangular meet record of six seconds. Heasely, his teammate is not capable of equaling that performance, but is expected to finish a safe second. Alcorn, Green hurdler who captured second honors last year, is generally conceded the leader in this class. He has been clocked at 6 2-5 seconds in a recent time trial at Hanover in the 50 yard hurdles. Putnam will most probably finish third for another Dartmouth point.

Weak in Field Events

The Crimson's great weakness lies in the field events, where they are conceded a chance of winning only six points. Cornell, as in previous years, is powerful in this department and is counted on to amass a total of 23, with Dartmouth winning 16 points. The University team is expected to gain six much-needed points in the broad jump and shot put to carry it through to victory, but its chances are slim at the best. French should take second place, but here again he may be handicapped by his late start in training. Last year he won the event with a leap of 22 feet 1 1-4 inches, but this year Dartmouth has Canby, the favorite, who is capable of a 23-foot jump. Donner of the Green has also leapt well over 22 feet. Becker of Cornell must also be considered. French will have to be up to form in order to capture the necessary second place.

Concede Cornell Shot Put

In the shot put, Levy and Anderson of Cornell, first and second place winners last year, are the outstanding performers, but David Guarnaccia '29 has shown steady improvement and has a narrow chance for a second. The high jump, pole vault, and 35-pound weight events are all Cornell and Dartmouth. Maynard and Pierce should win the Green six points in the first of these, while Colyer of Cornell is conceded the advantage in the pole vault. Worden and Anderson should finish one-two in the 35-pound weight. Harvard 43, Dartmouth 40, Cornell 33 Is Forecast TRACK EVENTS   Harvard  Dartmouth  Cornell 50-yard dash  8  0  1 300-yard dash  4  5  0 600-yard dash  4  5  0 1000-yard run  4  5  0 Mile run  6  0  3 Two mile run  6  0  3 High hurdles  0  6  3 Totals  32  21  10 FIELD EVENTS   Harvard  Dartmouth  Cornell High jump  0  6  3 Broad jump  3  5  1 Pole vault  0  4  5 Shot put  3  0  6 35-pound weight  0  1  8 Totals  6  16  23 SUMMARY   Harvard  Dartmouth  Cornell Track events  32  21  10 Field events  6  16  23 Relay race  5  3  0 Totals  43  40  33