UNITY, GENTLEMEN

"To blot out the Mason-and-Dixon line and show the world that Dixie wants all sectional strife and hatred to fade away during the Hoover Administration." Conference veterans will appear in the inaugural parade in Washington a fortnight hence. This is the first instance when a formal invitation to participate in the inauguration ceremonies has been extended to the United Confederate Veterans.

Thus, as the Grey mingles with the Blue on Pennsylvania Avenue, the Republican party may behold the physical symbol of its complete triumph of last November. The willingness of the remnant of the hosts of Lee and Jackson to take part in this occasion of Republican jubilation may be taken to represent the change which came over the south and put such states as Virginia and Texas in the Republican corium. Now the old guards come forward to finish off the picture.

For the Democrats there is little consolation in the sight of the belle of the south going down the asile to the waiting arm of the G. O. P. Such things may make a pretty gesture of national unity, but practical politicians in the Democratic camp perhaps find it a somewhat superfluous one. All that remains to cheer these boys is Senator Moses celebrated statement that the demands of Massachusetts for seats at the inauguration are far too exhorbitant to come from a Democratic state.