NEMESIS OF FASCISM TO GIVE GROUP LECTURES

TO SPEAK ON ITALIAN DIPLOMACY FEBRUARY 27, 28, MARCH 1

Professor Gaetano Salvemini, a distinguished historian, formerly a contributor to Mussolini's newspaper, but now one of the leading opponents of the Fascist dictatorship, is to give a series of three lectures in History 2b on Italy from 1871 to 1914 during the last week of this month.

Professor Salvemini, who is visiting this country for only a short period to give several lectures before the New School of Social Research in New York City, is one of the outstanding figures in the life of modern Italy. As a professor in the University of Florence he became involved in politics serving as a Deputy of the Progressive School. Although at the outset he was in sympathy with the Fascist movement, and one of the leading contributors to Mussolini's journals, he gradually broke away from the new party, until after the institution of the repressive system of Mussolini, he became a vigorous opponent of the new government.

Charged With Sedition

In 1925 Professor Salvemini's opposition to the party in power was responsible for his being removed as a professor, and being brought to trial before a Florence court on the charge of sedition. Although acquitted by the court, he was set upon by a mob of Fascists as he was leaving the courtroom, and barely escaped with his life. As a result of this affair he was obliged to flee from the country, leaving all his property behind to be confiscated by the Fascists. He has the distinction of being one of the two men who have been deprived of their nationality by the Fascists.

Is Diplomatic Authority

Salvemini, now considered without question as one of the most influential leaders of the opposition party in Italy has written a book entitled. "The Fascist Dictatorship in Italy", which has received world wide recognition.

Professor Salvemini speaks English fluently and is considered a forceful and authoritative lecturer on modern Italian diplomacy. Since his visit to this country is of such a short duration, it was with great difficulty that Professor Langer who has charge of History 3, prevailed upon the prominent historian to come to the University. The place of the lectures which will be given on February 27, February 28, and March 1, will be announced later.