FOUR YEAR FRENCH AND GERMAN TO BE ACCEPTED

LANGUAGE REQUIREMENTS NOT AFFECTED BY CHANGE

Four years of French and German will be accepted for admission to Harvard College in the future, it was announced yesterday by C. H. Moore '89, dean of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences. Hitherto only three years of the two languages could be taken for admission credit. The change was proposed to the Faculty by the Committee on Admissions and was ratified at a conference last Tuesday.

Hitherto a student who might have desired to take a modern language in his final year of preparatory school changed instead to a science or a history which would enable him to gain an extra point. With the recent change in regulations the student is not deprived of the continuity of his study of French or German, and high schools are encouraged to give more thorough courses in these languages. Four years of Greek and Latin have always been acceptable for entrance; the change puts the important modern languages on equal basis with the classics.

The new rules, which will go into effect this fall, will not affect the language requirements, as students with four years of French and German behind them will have little difficulty with these barriers. They will, however, enable students to omit the more elementary courses in these languages, such as French 1 and 2, and concentrate at the beginning of their Freshman year on more advanced work.