Fogg Museum Given $500,000 General Endowment by Rockefeller Foundation

Copyright 1929 by the Harvard Crimson

A gift of $500,000 from the General Education Board of the Rockefeller Foundation to be used as a permanent endowment fund of the Fogg Art Museum has been received by the Harvard Corporation it was learned from unquestionable sources yesterday.

Although no official confirmation of this gift can be obtained the CRIMSON is able to state with certainty that the gift was offered to the authorities of the Fogg Museum some months ago and is now in the hands of the Corporation. The interest from this sum will be used to defray part of the running expenses of the museum.

Before this year the Fogg has had no general endowment and has had some difficulty in defraying its heavy overhead. Although it has not announced any definite campaign for an endowment it is rumored that $1,000,000 is the final goal for which the authorities are working. If this total can be raised the interest from it should be sufficient to cover the large running expenses which have increased greatly with the expansion which the Fogg Art Museum and the Department of Fine Arts have undergone during the past few years.