Crippled Harvard Hockey Team Faces Yale in Conclusive Match

Ineligibility of Jackson, Elkins Causes Shift--Hope of Win Hangs on Tight Defense

The Harvard hockey squad which will square off against the Yale forces tonight will be little more than a ghost of its former self. The third and all conclusive clash of the annual Crimson and Blue ice series in New Haven tonight is scheduled to start at 8.30 o'clock.

Playing on the home Arena, the powerful Eli skating combination is the marked odds-on-favorite to repeat its victory of last Saturday and clinch the series. A Yale victory will definitely give the New Haven six sole claim to the mythical intercollegiate hockey title and with it the first Crimson-Blue championship since 1925, when the great Jenkins-led team from Connecticut proved its supremacy over the University in a climactic string of contests.

The gloom which descended over Cambridge with the announcement that O. P. Jackson '29, crack Harvard goalie, was ineligible for service in this final game owing to scholastic difficulties has become even heavier. The University's probation rules have taken toll of one more Crimson player. Yesterday it was learned that W. L. Elkins '28, slated to take Jackson's place, would also be hors de combat. As a result, H. H. Newell '29, understudy of Joseph Morrill '29 last year, will bear the burden of turning aside the Yale shots.

Newell is comparatively inexperienced. Last season he saw little action and during this campaign has seen service in only one important contest, the first Toronto game. In that New Year's Eve clash, Newell at times stood up admirably under the fire of the Canadian assault. The outcome of tonight's game depends largely on his performance; and it is possible that he may exceed expectations under the onus of his responsibilities.

The University players are undaunted by the have recently wrought in their ranks. Captain John Tudor '29, playing in his last intercollegiate game, and F. R. G. Giddens '30, Canadian ace, have both proven that they can rise to great heights under adverse conditions. Two of the highest scorers on the Harvard squad, they will be counted on once again to lead a fierce attack against their favored rivals.

Harvard's slim hope of victory tonight hangs on the ability of the Crimson defense effectively to block the Yale drives before they reach the Crimson cage