COLLECTIONS --and-- CRITIQUES

Work of George and Robert Cruikshank Features Exhibition

The Widener Treasure Room has at present on display a collection of rare and valuable Oliver Goldsmith manuscripts. These original copies have been placed on exhibition in recognition of the two hundredth anniversary of the birth of the Irish author. The collection of the Treasure Room itself has been supplemented by the loan of several note-worthy manuscripts from the library of A. H. Parker '97. The most interesting books on display are: a very rare first edition of "The Traveller" with an inscription by the author; Horace Walpole's private copy of the "Retaliation," which was printed in 1774; "Dr. Goldsmith's Celebrated Elegy," an unusually fine first edition with uncut leaves; and one of the two extant copies of "Select Poems of Goldsmith," the first collection of the author's work, only one edition of which was printed.

Drawing on Display

There is an excellent original drawing by R. C. Lucas of the "Meeting of Thornhill and Olivia" to illustrate "The Vicar of Wakefield," and also a Bollandson drawing for the Vicar of Wakefield. The earliest French translation of "The Deserted Village" and the earliest Dutch translation of "The Vicar of Wakefield" are also of interest.

In the Memorial Room the most noteworthy manuscript is the "Memoirs of Jonathan Swift, D.D." This is entirely in Scott's own handwriting, and is in the uncorrected form. The first edition of "Ivanhoe" in the original boards should also attract bibliophiles. The first edition of "Vanity Fair" with Thackeray's own illustrations rivals the previously mentioned copy in rarity. The copy has the woodcut of Marcus Steyne which was later suppressed. There is, finally, an unpublished manuscript of Charlotte Broute's entitled, "Adventures of Captain Hasting," and several signed first editions of "Clarissa," and "Moll Flanders."