HERE COMES THE BRIDE

The brilliant color of modern university life seems to be fading from a flaming crimson into the more delicate mauve of solidarity. Like opera girls and Memorial Hall dining room, the old traditions are becoming passe, for now the carefree Lothario who whisks by in his shining roadster must give way to the more sedate touring car of the happily married student with the wife and little strangers. In the coeducational University of Washington, marriage among the undergraduates is even being promoted by the faculty on the grounds that those who have the responsibility of a wife get better grades.

At the present time many colleges still have rules forbidding students with connubial connections, presupposing that the duties of the home will prevent paying proper attention to university activities. They forget that such functions as undergraduate dances with happily married couples will be much less disconcerting affairs than they are at present. Such events as unofficial competitions to attain the honor of being the most popular girl will be distinctly discouraged. And, the time formerly wasted in trying to attain the favors of the college widow or her male prototype will be devoted to the profitable occupation of helping the wife with her anthropology.

Efficiency is the motif of the times, so the colorful figures must go. It is true that the college will become more like an insurance office with its restrictions resulting from the connubial ties but the old levity is taboo. Weekends in New York must give way to shopping trips to buy Oscar Jr. a new kiddie car. Percy Marks will have to leave the field to the more domesticated Gertrude Atherton.