YOUNG REPUDIATES ANNOUNCEMENT OF HIS APPOINTMENT

Politicians Continue to Consider Him as Possibility--Staunch Supporter of Hoover Administration

"I have received no offer of appointment of any position from President Hoover or from anyone else," was the statement made to the CRIMSON last night by B. L. Young '07, in complete repudiation of the rumors in Boston papers yesterday that he had been offered the post of first assistant attorney general of the United States.

It was definitely announced by several editions of yesterday morning's press that Mr. Young had been appointed directly by Mr. Hoover. In such a capacity he would have charge of the patronage of all federal judicial posts throughout the country. It is a position of which the honor is second only to a few of the cabinet portfolios, and one which brings its holder into extremely close personal contact with the President.

After seeing the reports in the papers, however, Mr. Young issued a flat denial. Not only has he received no such offer, but he has even heard no suggestions that any will be made. In view of these facts he is of course giving no consideration to the matter.

Despite Mr. Young's announcement, however, prophets in political circles refuse to omit his name from the list of candidates for the assistant attorney generalship, for he has long been recognized as one of the leading supporters of President Hoover as well as one of the nation's leading lawyers. After being graduated from Harvard College in 1907 and from the Law School in 1911, he was admitted to the bar and has been held one of the leading members. He was a member of the Board of Overseers of the University from 1922 to 1928, and has given almost twenty years to the service of the Commonwealth: was Speaker of the House for four years: and in 1928 was the Republican nominee for United States Senator, to be defeated by his Democratic opponent. At the last Republican convention, in Kansas City, he distinguished himself further as secretary of the committee on credentials, and his speech offering Alvan T. Fuller as a vice-presidential possibility was a feature of the gathering.