"The Water's Fine"

THE PRESS

. . . Professor Hall's letter apparently led some of the Boston newspapers to say that a large proportion of the Harvard Faculty, the undergraduates, and the alumni were hostile to the "house plan." Now, the Bulletin is in a position where it can form a reasonably sound judgment about the opinions of Harvard men, young and old. We are certain that the opposition to the new project, from any source, is inconsiderable, and that such as exists is based on unfamiliarity with the enterprise. Members of the Faculty are, naturally enough, concerned about the details, and it is quite possible that not all agree on every item in the important undertaking which, because it is novel, is working out slowly, but the scheme as a whole is thoroughly acceptable. The graduates are almost unanimously favorable to it: at their meetings held since the announcement of Mr. Harkness's generous gift and in other places they have enthusiastically endorsed the plan, either formally or informally.

It is true that the undergraduate publications have attacked it, but their attitude indicates not so much antagonism to the house plan as dissatisfaction because they were not informed about the progress of events. We venture to say, for instance, that the CRIMSON would have shown a quite different state of mind if its representatives had known what was going on from moment to moment. Further, there are reasons for believing that the undergraduate papers do not reflect undergraduate sentiment as a whole. Even the social clubs, which at first were inclined to look with disfavor on the house plan because they feared it might lead to their extinction, have changed their views. We have no doubt that discussion and the spreading of information will remove even the slight opposition which now exists in any quarter. --Harvard Alumni Bulletin.