The Abolitionist

THE MAIL

(Ed. Note--The Crimson does not necessarily endorse opinions expressed in printed communications. No attention will be paid to anonymous letters but under special conditions, at the request of the writer, names will be withheld.)

To the Editor of the CRIMSON:

The system of abolishing editorials in college newspapers that has recently become so popular in the western universities appeals to me as the most efficient means of stimulating the editorial column of the CRIMSON. If student opinions were substituted for the present generalizations of the editors your paper would become a truer indication of undergraduate thought: and a greater source of constructive criticism. In the final analysis, the raison d'etre of the college newspaper is to express student opinion, and the obvious way to attain the best results in this purpose is to enable the greates number of students possible to express their opinions.

Under the present system, your column is merely the expression of the ideas of a very small group, and but slightly expresses the prevalent opinions of the University. As a result, the scope of the CRIMSON is narrowed and no one derives any great benefit from reading what is printed. If you should exclude all but the comments of the University at large, not only would more people find interest in the editorial column, but Harvard would be provided with a true criterion of undergraduate thought. A. W. Baldwin '31.