WAR AND PEACE

The Mexican revolution and the proposed Nationalistic uprising in China must now give their place in the public eye to an impending dispute that is of more personal interest to the people of the United States. Although the imbroglio in which this country and Great Britain have become involved over the sinking of an alleged rum-runner does not arise from conflicting opinions of Nationalists or Revolutionists, it is a matter of internal government that threatens to become a question of international importance.

Great Britain has too large a navy and too much influence in the world of commerce to allow the enforcement of prohibition with its attending harshness to pass off as a good joke, as the Siamese Legation found it expedient to do. Several years ago Great Britain waived certain rights of the high seas to the American Government in recognizing the twelve-mile limit and in permitting the American coast guard cutters to enforce the laws of their country in the waters about Bermuda and Jamaica. But they did not include the right to sink ships that are flying the flag of their merchant marine. The limits to the bounds of courtesy are very much short of blowing holes in suspected schooners.

It is true that the ship in question may have been violating the laws of the United States, but the offense did not warrant its being sunk beyond the twelve mile limit. Such an action offers the British government excellent grounds for protest and leaves this country without a valid excuse. The enthusiasm of the coast guard in executing their duties might be satisfactory to the W. C. T. U., but their breach of international etiquette certainly will not find favor in diplomatic circles.