New Solution to Social Problems Predicted by Sorokin; Famous Sociologist Comments on Novel Experiments

"Many of the social problems that loom up so ominously before us today will eventually be solved. I feel sure, by experimental work in sociology such as we have recently undertaken at Minnesota," declared Pitirim Sorokin, professor of Sociology at the University of Minnesota, and one of the foremost sociologists in the world today. "While as yet we have attempted nothing on a large scale, we have obtained results that quite clearly indicate the future possibilities for an advanced development in this field.

"One of the most interesting and at the same time amusing of our experiments was that performed upon the students in the sociology course at Minnesota. For obvious reasons, it was altogether necessary that we conduct all operations without the knowledge of the students, and with this in mind we outlined and carried into effect the following program of action:

"In the first place, we let it be known that in Germany a book of diagrams was being published which, if obtained, would prove of great value to the student both in making his work in sociology considerably clearer and in enabling him to get very much better marks in his examinations. One could obtain this book, we said, only through our department, by sending us a certain sum of money.

"Second, we had it published that the homes of three of the brightest men studying sociology at Minnesota but not belonging to the experimental group, had been lost in the Mississippi flood, which was at that time raising such havoc, and that it would be necessary for these students to leave college unless, among their fellow classmates, sufficient funds could be raised to put them on their feet again. In the third place, we sent forth notice that an appeal had been received from Russia for contributions for food for starving students in their universities.

"Thus we put before these Minnesota men three different causes, all equally worthy of their contribution, and waited to see what would be the result of our various appeals without much doubt, however, as to the final outcome. Needless to say, while the cause of the homeless Michigan students was better supported than that of the foreigners, the subscriptions for the German book of diagrams which could be used to personal advantage only, were vastly greater than those for either of the other causes. Thus we proved that as social distance increases, readiness to help others decreases, while one is ready most of all to help oneself, in spite of all that may be said to the contrary."