SQUIRREL CAGE

The first issue of The Harvard Progressive indicates the failure of its editors to grasp the possibilities offered by their undertaking. Not only is consideration of the student aspect of the field neglected, but the policy seems limited to the sensationalism of a large number of radical journals. In doing this The Progressive overlooks its most useful opportunity and allows a bitter air of personal and class feeling to become evident in the paper.

Room most certainly exists for an undergraduate socialist publication. Free from the stress and competition of the business world, the years in college provide an excellent background for men who wish to make a serious economic and social study. In the student section of the socialist movement one might hope to find a blending of youthful idealism and careful thinking that would bring a journal of opinion to a high standard. Discussions in such a medium should be by and for undergraduates, and of an original turn, uncolored with the general propaganda motive. The Progressive with its tabloid-like treatment of the liberation of mankind theme can scarcely be considered to include any of those features which would seem to justify it as the organ of a group of Harvard students.