UP FROM DOWN-UNDER

Bowing beneath the ceremony and pomp of state receptions, and the beneficent smile of official welcome, a corps of students, comprising 150 members of the Young Australia League, winds its way over the country "to see, to learn, and to make friends." The arduous moments at attention while the official representative presents the appropriate flag with the appropriate word, and the informal back slapping of local Rotarians may tend to obscure the professed view of the young adventurers.

In the contempt of sentimental gushings and impassioned pleas for bigger and better foreign relations, the solid economic and political significance of tolerance and understanding are too often underestimated. On this latter ground the fanfare of student voyages, international Schools, and even the schoolboy correspondence in French, find a justification. Meanwhile the position occupied by Harvard in foreign eyes, offers to a much greater degree the opportunity for utilizing such contact. With this in mind the University should take a certain pride in playing a part, even if subordinate to the local Rotary Club.