LARGE FOGG AUDIENCE HEARS POPE DESCRIBE FRENCH ART

Over 1,000 people crowded into the large lecture hall of the Fogg Art Museum yesterday afternoon to hear Professor Arthur Pope '01 speak on "The Various Phases of Modern Movements in French Art." The audiences yesterday and on Wednesday, when Professor Paul Sachs '00 delivered the first of the two addresses, were the largest and most diversified that have ever attended such events in the Museum.

Professor Pope's lecture yesterday was a continuation and expansion of the introductory one of Professor Sachs, in which was outlined the general art history of the nineteenth century, an age marked by a battle of opposing traditions." These two discussions were given in connection with the French exhibitions now on display at the Fogg and at the galleries of the Harvard Society for Contemporary Art. They are of particular significance because of the general ignorance and vagueness, which has clouded this period in art. Professor Pope's introductory article in the forthcoming catalogue of the Fogg exhibition to some extent handles the same material as his lecture yesterday, although in a briefer style.