Ignorance of the Law--

THE MAIL

To the Editor of the CRIMSON:

The old adage concerning the golden virtues of silence might be well enough in its place, but such a policy loses its charm when it is adopted by those who are in charge of announcing the time of examinations. In the present April hours there have been many courses in which were given no other than class room notices, and in some cases these were changed at various times so that unless the class was regularly attended, the student was, "out of luck", to use the words of an instructor.

It is quite possible that it is necessary to be absent from a class immediately preceding an examination, so that if there is to be any change of time, the obvious result is that the test is missed and the student is left to the mercies of the instructor. Frequently the instructor himself makes a mistake in the announcement, which, if provisions were properly made whereby all examinations were posted in the CRIMSON, would not have the disastrous effects it now has. If it is necessary to give hour examinations, it might be well to make some arrangement so that a man may be reasonably well assured of when and where he is to be examined. Zeroes that result from lack of sufficient notice of course quizes are neither to the credit of the courses nor fair to the student. Sincerely yours,   Richard Breithut '31.