BOSTON--POUR LE SPORT

Boston is admittedly a good sports town. For years the city has supported with unfailing faith and loyalty two of the lowliest baseball teams which the major leagues have every held over a long period of time. There is no place in America that goes wilder over hockey Football games and boxing matches draw crowds more enthusiastic than those of larger cities, and the annual fixtures in tennis, golf, and track and field are noted on every social calendar.

But with all this, there seems to be no particular reason why Mr. Bingham should try to schedule the annual indoor intercollegiate track meet at the Boston Garden. Boston and Harvard have already their share of track features during the winter: the B. A. A. games, the Knights of Columbus games, and the Triangular meeting of Cornell, Dartmouth, and Harvard the very week before the intercollegiate championships. This year, with all the local avidity for track sports, the Triangular meet suffered at the hands of professional hockey games, and other attractions. Set down in the middle of Boston's crowded winter season, the intercollegiate meet would be a drug on the market. It is doubtful, too, if the Garden arena is large enough for twenty track teams.

The choice of the officials of the meet has fallen on New York not because it is the largest city in the country, but principally because it is central for the competing colleges. A games at the score sheet of last Saturday's meet will reveal how many entrants come from the New York district or farther south. To ask the hundreds of athletes from distant colleges to make the journey to Boston would be an imposition on coaches and teams. Harvard and Boston have become famous for their athletic hospitality; they must be careful that hospitality does not become greed for the lion's share of the good things.