WILL-O'-THE-WISP

In blaming readmitted and dropped Freshmen for a large part of increased unsatisfactory Freshman records, Dean Hanford's recent report is mistaking cause in what is fundamentally an effect of more basic conditions. The question inevitably arises as to whence comes this increasing number of dropped and readmitted Freshmen responsible for the yearly increment of poor students. In order to have more and more of these persons unfitted for promotion to Sophomore standing one must be continually supplied at the beginning of Freshman year with more and more incapables. To say that the low standing of any given class is in a measure due the large number of dropped and readmitted men is of course valid, but it is fallacious to point to a continued increase of poor records as the result of this condition unless the increase in the number of these men can itself be explained on external grounds.

With the proper understanding of the inherently smoke-screen quality of the first named reason for the steady growth of "unsatisfactories" in Dean Hanford's report, the necessity for close attention to the second and third reasons comes squarely into its own. No doubt more stringency in the treatment of men who have once failed of promotion would result in an immediate improvement in the appearance of Freshman standing, but by so doing the symptoms of disease are removed. It is the cause of the symptoms that requires earnest searching and thoughtful treatment.

Already the matter of September admission second in importance in this part of the Dean's report, has been discussed and disposed of. Apparently there is nothing left but a consideration of Mr. Hanford's class number three, that of men submitting low admission records. Crucial point that it is, this problem deserves all possible attention; all other explanations of the phenomenon of unsatisfactory college work lead inevitably to the advisability of admitting men with dubious records. No scurrying about after secondary effects should be allowed to distract the attention of those committed to seeing that the right men are allowed the opportunity to try for a Harvard education.