RECOGNIZING GOLF

The announcement in yesterday's CRIMSON that two golf greens will be constructed on the class football fields near Longfellow track will be warmly welcomed by University golfing enthusiasts. This move, which marks the materializing of the Athletic Committee's recommendation of last December, presents several favorable aspects. Not only is this much desired recognition of golf in accordance with the athletics for all policy inaugurated by Athletic Director William J. Bingham, but it is a partial fulfillment and facilitation of an off-expressed hope that provision for all Harvard athletics, especially golf, may be made in proximity to the college.

Golfing enthusiasts have long bemoaned the comparative neglect of their favorite sport in comparison to tennis, squash, and similar activities. The erection of two greens on which to practice approach shots will eliminate the necessity of traveling miles to the nearest golf course. A far more important step in the recognition of golf, however, is the securing of Francis Ouimet's services this spring to lay out the greens and to coach the University golf squad. The able services of such a recognized golfing figure will do much to increase the prestige of the sport at Harvard.

The golf squad will still be able to make use of the eight memberships held for it at the Belmont Country Club whenever more extensive grounds are necessary. But the inconvenience of using this course has always been a serious handicap, and the latest move of the Athletic Committee will overcome some of the most serious obstacles in the way of making provision for golfing enthusiasts and bestirring interest in such a popular and prominent sport.